Fallbrook Woman’s Club Meeting House
In 1907, the “Saturday Afternoon Club” was established by 15 women to provide a resting spot for farmers and family, especially wives, on their weekend trips to town. The club changed its name to “Fallbrook Woman’s Club” in 1946, with their mission now being community improvement through volunteer service.
For the first meeting in November 1907, space was rented in the Masonic Hall. In 1913, a building was purchased as a clubhouse and was later moved for the construction of the Santa Fe Railroad Spur.
In 1917, the club sponsored the first Girl Scout Troop west of the Mississippi, White Rose Troop No. 1. In 1919, the club founded the first public library in Fallbrook, which was housed in the clubhouse.
During World War II, members organized the local USO, volunteered for the Red Cross, taught first-aid classes and helped take care of injured servicemen.
In 1951, the club purchased property on West Mission Street, two blocks west of North Main Street. The property included two houses built in 1876. The larger house is the current clubhouse with the garage converted to the caretaker’s cottage and the smaller house is used as rental property.
The club is proud to display an original 1906 El Camino Real Guidepost Mission Bell used by Spanish missionaries to establish the Kings Highway connecting California missions, and a c.1872 surrey donated by the Heald family of Fallbrook.
Countless hours of volunteer work have been given unselfishly by members to schools, churches, the hospital auxiliary, club and district activities. Members have fostered self-improvement, striven for community betterment, encouraged education and have been involved in the heart of the community since its inception. In November 2007, the club celebrated their 100th anniversary.
Center Front: 1909 Rambler – Bill and Anne Ottemann
Left Front: 1926 Oldsmobile Sedan – Bill and Robin Kemper
Left Back: 1910 2-cyl REO – Les and Barbara Von Nordheim
Right Front: 1929 Durant Model 40 – Derek and Linda Lovett
Back: 1926 Ford Model T Touring – Doug and Sharon Allen
Under Canopy: 1872 Horse Drawn Surrey
53rd Annual Fallbrook Vintage Car Show 2018
Artist: Jim Krogle
Born in Santa Monica in 1944, Jim learned from his father to love the ocean. They spent many summers sailing, fishing, and navigating to their favorite spot, Catalina Island.
In the sixties, Jim started surfing the Southern California beaches and playing guitar in a local garage band. In 1965 he began studying art at the prestigious Chouinard Art Institute in Los Angeles. In 1969, after receiving his bachelor’s degree in illustration, Jim launched an extensive 20 plus year career as an American Illustrator. He has received numerous awards in the field of advertising.
In 1990 Jim returned to his love of the ocean and surfing and started painting pictures of the local beaches and surf culture. Many of these art pieces include classic Woodie cars. Local car clubs took notice of his work and started searching him out to paint poster art for their events. Art for the Huntington Beach Cruiser, Doheny Wood, and Fallbrook Vintage Car Club posters have become highly collectible pieces.
Jim’s detailed pen & ink and watercolor renderings present a wealth of good memories, and souvenirs of places seen and loved by locals and tourists alike.
When Jim is not painting, he can be found surfing at his favorite spot in San Onofre.
For additional information: Jim Krogle Fine Art
The Fallbrook Vintage Car Club held their monthly meetings at the Fallbrook Woman’s Club house for many years. They currently meet at the Baptist Community Church on the corner of Stage Coach Ln. and Riche Rd at 7PM on the 4th Tuesday of each month.